What are the best indoor & outdoor security cameras?
Installing the absolute best home security cameras around your property can do wonders to ease your mind, giving you the added protection you deserve and serving as a crucial deterrent to potential intruders. Choosing the right camera for your home security can be tedious. My goal is to provide you with the best security camera options and point out the key features that characterize them from one another to help you select the right security camera for your home.
Principle Security Features
Below are some of the essential features to consider when comparing indoor and outdoor security cameras.
Cameras with motion detection can send you notifications when the camera observes motion within its field of view. These notifications can alert you to suspicious activity, so you can monitor the situation.
Field of View:
Field of View refers to the width of an area a camera can record. This is important because it will affect how many cameras you’ll need and where you should place them.
The sound feature can refer to your camera receiving sound via a microphone, emitting sound via a speaker, or both. Cameras with both can double as an intercom.
The resolution defines how clear the image from your camera will be. A clearly visible image is very helpful when trying to identify faces or items in the images your camera records.
A camera with WiFi can communicate with your wireless home network which can be very handy for installation but is also less susceptible to being disabled because it doesn’t have wires which could be cut.
The distance to which your camera can record images in low to no light situations can have a great impact on its effectiveness because often criminal activity can happen at night.
A camera that can pan and/or tilt may be able to record a larger area than a static camera and therefore reduce the total number of cameras needed to observe a particular area.
Obviously, if a camera costs so much that you can no longer afford the valuables you’re trying to protect with it, then it doesn’t serve a purpose. Cost is a factor for every purchasing decision.
Best Indoor Cameras
- Alerts and snapshots: When Nest Cam detects activity, it can send a phone alert or email with a photo of the event.
- Quick, easy setup: Plug in Nest Cam and download the Nest app to get started. No hub needed.
- Talk & Listen: Nest Cam has a built-in speaker and microphone, and lets you talk and listen through the app. Speak up to get someone’s attention, or tell the dog to get off the couch.
- Night vision done right: See the whole room at night — not just a limited spotlight view.
- Comes with a free Nest Aware trial: Get intelligent alerts and continuous cloud recording. Create Activity Zones for more precise alerts. Make and share custom clips or time-lapses. And more.
- 24/7 live video: 130° wide-angle views and all-glass lens let you look after home in 1080p HD, day and night
LOREX Micro 1080p HD Pan/Tilt IP Security Camera
The LNZ3522B monitoring camera is a small camera with 360 degree viewing range capabilities, with both live panning and programmable preset positions.
- 25 Programmable Preset Positions
- Panning Capabilities at 100 Degrees Per Second
- Listen-In Audio Provides Maximum Surveillance
The rugged, small-sized LNZ3522B monitoring camera is perfect for monitoring activity close to buildings or in wide, indoor spaces. With an IK10 vandal-proof rating, the resilient metal housing is designed to hold up under impact. Plug-and-play installation of the LNZ3522B monitoring camera system uses a single Ethernet cable for video and audio transmission.
Vivotek FD8182-F2 5MP 30M IR Indoor PIR WDR Dome Camera
Equipped with a 5-megapixel CMOS sensor and impressive 1920 x 1080 image resolution, this camera will help you keep an eye on your property. With plenty of video-enhancing features encased in an unobtrusive, elegantly simple design, this fixed dome IP camera is optimized for indoor use.
- 5-Megapixel CMOS Sensor – 15 fps @ 2560×1920
- Built-in IR Illuminators, Effective up to 30 Meters
- WDR Enhanced for Unparalleled Visibility in Bright and Dark Environments
- Smart Stream to Optimize Bandwidth Efficiency
- Video Rotation for Corridor View
This fixed dome IP camera will compress your data files in order to free up your limited bandwidth. Signals can be sent in both H.264 and MJPEG formats as well as at varying frame speeds and resolutions, giving you the flexibility to adjust your video-viewing experience to suit your preferences. A built-in card slot allows you to save files into non-networked storage for your added peace of mind. This camera comes with plenty of other useful features as well, including tamper detection, to keep you and your family safe at any hour of the day.
Best Outdoor Cameras
- 500′ Night Vision & True Day/Night Switching
- View Your Video from Anywhere with Internet Connection
- Pan, Tilt and 30x Optical Zoom Gives Wide Coverage & Close-Ups
- 4MP & 190FT NIGHT VISION: 1440p Super HD, IR camera with built-in 6pcs IR LEDs to achieve amazing 190ft night vision range in dark, suitable for large areas like parking areas, garage, backyard, front yard, etc.
- PTZ & POE: Pan-tilt-zoom camera with endless 360˚ pan & 90˚ tilt & 4x optical zoom, no blind spots left, commercial grade surveillance camera, PoE with one cable, easy wiring, weatherproof.
- MOTION DETECT & ALERT: Flexible motion detection (set detection zone, schedule detection time and adjust sensibility), real-time and accurate movement alert via app push notification, email, support automatically upload motion-triggered image capture and recording FTP server.
- REMOTE ACCESS & FREE APPS: Rich feature and functions in free apps for iPhone, Android, Windows PC, Mac, no subscription fee, live view, remote access, motion alert, multiple channels(at least 8 sources), intuitive and easy to navigate.
- 24/7 RECORDING WITH NVR: Reliable non-stop surveillance, HD video, optional recording, 24/7 HD video recording with Reolink PoE NVRs (support up to 16 cameras and all Reolink PoE cameras).
This network camera’s durable vandal-proof housing protects against any tampering. Intelligent video features such as motion activation, tamper alarm, and audio detection, lets you record based on a number of user-defined rules. This camera also features PoE functionality, so you don’t need a separate power source from the ethernet cable, freeing you up to install this camera almost anywhere. Two-way audio makes the IP camera great for monitoring home and office entrances.
- Easy Setup and Management For Remote Access
- High-Capacity DVR Featuring 2TB Storage
- Kit Includes 16 HD Security Cameras
Long Range Night Vision for Maximum Security
This outdoor camera is one of the best when it comes to protecting your business or residential property. The LOREX LHV0000 Series HD DVR and camera kit never miss a beat. Sixteen rugged, weatherproof night vision cameras work together seamlessly to ensure complete surveillance coverage while delivering motion detection and clear, color correct video in any lighting, from daylight to evening to complete darkness.